The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

shifter cables, and assembly-----HELP!!!!

my car when i bought it had a 90 trans in the car. I know there is a difference in the actual shifter inside the car, but are there any difference in the shifter cables? Long in the 90 shorter in the 91 and up? Is this correct? Im trying to get to drive my car by the weekend and this is the last big thing holding me up. Thanks,

John

i just looked at vfaq and there are only differences showing in the shifter themselves. is this right. Also it will only allow me to shift into 5th and reverse.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Read the first sentence of that post one more time and do it slowly this time around lol:

"The shifters, shifter cables, and trannies are different between 1990 and 1991-94"

And if you look at ExtremePSI you will also see different a part numbers.

MB484624 for the 3/90-5/90 cables and

MB659866 for the 06/90-5/93 cables.

Did you adjust the cables as per vfaq ?

Last edited:

ill try to adjust them.

Also the tranny is a brand new shep rebuild. 0 miles. so its not the trans itself.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Sometimes the cables will look good but they're actually busted. It happened on my car without warning. Drove around all day without any issues then when I got home and tried to back into a spot I didn't want to go into reverse. I tried putting it in 1st but it didn't go in that either. I only had 2nd and 4th. I pushed the car backwards into a spot and tried adjusting the cables several time with no luck. I removed them and ordered new ones from Extremepsi and it worked like a charm.

anyone know how much of a difference there is in length between the 90 to the 91-93 shifter cables?

fivestardsm

Just so you know, The transmission cases are the same! You can run a 90 in a 91, or vise-versa as long as you swap out the brackets and and shifter arms. The shifter arms are the only reason why the cables dont work when you do this swap.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO CHANGE THE CABLES AND SHIFTER BASE!!!

I labled these as brackets in the picture, but ment to call them shifter arms!vv

Here are the cables sitting next to eachother. The top ones are from the VR4, the second set down, are from a 1991 and up DSM, and the third set down are from a 1990 DSM. The VR4, and 1991 and up DSM are the same. The difference in length between the 1990, and the vr4/91 up, is roughly 1 3/8 of an inch on only one of the cables. The other cable is the same length.

Last edited:

fivestardsm

So did you find out if you had the correct cables?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned